Lewis GillLewis Gill was jailed at Salisbury Crown Court on Friday

Andrew Young, 40, suffered a head injury and died in hospital after the assault in Bournemouth in 2013.

Lewis Gill, of Sutton, south London, admitted manslaughter and was jailed at Salisbury Crown Court on Friday.

Justice Secretary Chris Grayling said the attorney general was considering seeking a longer sentence.

He called it a “repugnant crime”, adding: “I think most of the public will feel justice hasn’t been done.”

“In a case where [the attorney general] judges the sentence to be too lenient, he can go back to the courts and seek a longer sentence,” Mr Grayling said.

“He may chose to do this in that case.”

Dorset Police described the killing outside a Tesco Express store in Charminster Road as a “violent attack on an innocent man”.

CCTV showed Mr Young, who had Asperger’s syndrome – a form of autism – apparently challenging Gill’s friend, who was cycling on the pavement.

Lewis Gill challenging cyclistMr Young spoke with Gill’s friend, who was on a bicycle

Moments later, Gill, 20, who was walking along behind, was shown punching Mr Young in the face.

Mr Young fell backwards and hit his head on the ground.

Lewis Gill about to hit Andrew YoungAndrew Young died after being punched by Lewis Gill

Conservative MP David Davies told the Daily Mail it was an “outrageously lean sentence”.

Chris Grayling told Daily Politics the sentence was being reviewed

“In two years he will be out walking the streets after taking somebody’s life,” he said.

“He has attacked someone unprovoked and should be properly punished.

lewis Gill was also sentenced to two three-month prison terms to run consecutively after committing the crime while on a suspended sentence for robbery and for handling stolen goods. He was jailed at Salisbury Crown Court last Friday.

A bullying sergeant who threatened to lock up a man for taking pictures of a dented car after a road smash has been condemned by a police commissioner.

The traffic officer, who gave his name as Sgt Tony Wallace, seized the 26-year-old photographer’s camera as he took pictures of the aftermath of an accident and told him: ‘You’re lucky I didn’t knock you out.’

He approached the man at the scene of the car smash in Churchdown, Gloucestershire, swore at him, and told him he would arrest him for obstructing a police officer, threatening to ‘make your day a living hell’.

Scroll down for video

A photographer who took this image of the aftermath of a car crash was told by a policeman he would 'make his life hell'A photographer who took this image of the aftermath of a car crash was told by a policeman he would ‘make his life hell’

 

This still from the photographer's mobile phone footage (his subtitles) shows the policeman taking his detailsThis still from the photographer’s mobile phone footage (his subtitles) shows the policeman taking his details

A still from the photographer's YouTube clip - the officer told him he was not allowed to take photographsA still from the photographer’s YouTube clip – the officer told him he was not allowed to take photographs

Today Martin Surl, Gloucestershire’s Police Commissioner, said the officer appeared to have ‘fallen far short of the behaviour expected and required’ by the police.

The incident began when the photographer, who does not wish to be named, took photographs of a damaged car after an accident involving an elderly woman, who had been taken to hospital before he got there.

 

An hour later, the photographer walked past a dented car still at the scene, and was taking some photographs of it from the other side of the road when he was approached by Sgt Wallace.

The policeman’s aggressive attitude prompted him to film the episode on his mobile phone, and he later posted the footage on YouTube.

The clip begins with the caption: ‘He takes the camera out of my hands, gets right in my face to the point where he’s spitting at me, swears at me several times, says the camera is being seized and I am going to be arrested for obstructing a police officer.

The officer is seen demanding the photographer's camera and saying he can't have it back unless he deletes the picturesThe officer is seen demanding the photographer’s camera and saying he can’t have it back unless he deletes the pictures

 

The photographer insisted that the road was open to pedestrians when he took his picturesThe photographer insisted that the road was open to pedestrians when he took his pictures

 

 

‘After about a minute or two of this confrontation I got my phone out but was afraid he would seize this too.  However he didn’t, and I began filming in a subtle way.’

The Scottish-sounding officer is recorded telling the photographer: ‘We’ll nick you now and I will make your day a living hell, cause you’ll be in that cell all day.

‘What I’ll probably do is I will ask for you to be remanded in custody and I will put you before the magistrate…. and they’ll be like, what a t** you’ve been.’

The officer can also be heard telling the photographer: ‘You’re lucky that I didn’t knock you out. I swore at you, yeah. It got your attention, though, didn’t it?’

The sergeant seized the man’s camera, told him he had to delete the images on it, and then stood over him as he scrolled through them before agreeing he could keep them all.

 

Police officer threatens make photographer’s life ‘living hell’

The man, who insists he only began taking pictures long after anyone injured in the accident had left the scene, later posted a 12-minute clip of the confrontation online.

In the film, he stressed he had no knowledge of what had happened in the accident, and said he was merely taking photographs of a damaged car once the police tape around the scene had been removed.

Today he said he believed he was being unfairly arrested when he was confronted by Sgt Wallace.
‘If I had gone through the police tape, then he should have arrested me, but I didn’t: they removed the tape because they were packing up, you can see all the other people freely walking about.

‘I thought I would take some pictures to submit to the papers. I thought it was a very minor incident and they papers might use a small thumbnail if they decided to run an article.’

He added: ‘Of course now I know it was not a minor event, and someone later died. But I didn’t, and would never, take pictures of the victims or their family.’

‘Because I hadn’t captured anything insensitive at all, and he knew it, it made the entire 15 minute interaction completely pointless.’

The YouTube footage, which has been viewed more than 10,000 times, includes a map of where the accident happened in Churchdown, Gloucestershire

The YouTube footage, which has been viewed more than 10,000 times, includes a map of where the accident happened in Churchdown, Gloucestershire

 

Gloucestershire police commissioner Martin Surl, seen here with the force's Chief Constable, Suzette Davenport, has condemned the officer's actionsGloucestershire police commissioner Martin Surl, seen here with the force’s Chief Constable, Suzette Davenport, has condemned the officer’s actions

 

Today Gloucestershire police said the officer involved was now facing a misconduct probe.

Mr Surl, a former police superintendent with Gloucestershire constabulary before he became Commissioner, said he had asked the force to investigate the matter ‘with the utmost urgency’.

He said: ‘It appears the officer involved has fallen far short of the behaviour expected and required by the Constabulary.

‘I have only seen the public-facing evidence, but it appears the officer swore at a member of the public, followed that up by saying he was lucky not to have been assaulted by the police, threatened him with arrest, mistreatment and a remand in custody.

‘I appreciate the work of the police can be very challenging, but no matter what the situation they should deal with the public in a civil and responsible manner at all times.

 

‘It appears the officer swore at a member of the public, followed that up by saying he was lucky not to have been assaulted by the police, threatened him with arrest, mistreatment and a remand in custody.’

  - Martin Surl, Gloucestershire Police Commissioner

‘It is the responsibility of the Chief Constable to manage complaints against police officers; my role is to hold the police to account.’

Mr Surl added: ‘I hope this incident will not cause the public to lose faith in the good work done every day by the majority of hard working, dedicated officers which is why I have asked for this issue to be dealt-with with the utmost urgency.’

The amateur photographer posted the video hours after the incident on 19 November and it has been viewed more than 10,000 times.

He said: ‘I turned up there and I started taking pictures.  It’s round the corner from where I live and I thought as I was local, I might as well get some photos. I know I’m allowed to take pictures on public land.

‘At the time there was no police tape cordoning off the road, the ambulance had gone, everyone had gone.’

The 86 year-old woman who was knocked down was treated at the scene but died later at Frenchay Hospital, Bristol.

Gloucestershire police said: ‘All police officers in Gloucestershire take an oath to ‘serve the public with respect to all people’.

‘Any officer found to breach this oath or any allegations or complaints made about officers are thoroughly and robustly investigated.’

Serial killer: Joanna Dennehy
Serial killer: Joanna Dennehy

The Old Bailey was stunned into silence yesterday as Joanna Dennehy issued her shock guilty plea.

The 31-year-old had been expected to deny the brutal knife murders of three men and dumping their bodies in ditches before being formally sent for trial.

Instead she shocked the court, including her own defence team, by confessing to the serial killings – and the attempted murder of two other men.

Dennehy, who has a green star tattoo below her right eye, took officials by surprise when she insisted: “I’ve pleaded guilty and that’s that.”

She also strongly objected when her lawyers asked for a delay to check that she really wanted to plead guilty.

Her startled barrister, Mr Nigel Lickley QC, told the court: “The course of the arraignment is not one we had anticipated.

“We ask for more time given what has just occurred.”

But Dennehy was adamant that she wanted no further discussion.

She interrupted her counsel, saying: “I’m not coming back down here again just to say the same stuff.

“It’s a long way to come to say the same thing I have just said.”

But Mr Lickley continued his request to the judge.

He said: “It is incumbent on us to inform the court whether the pleas will be maintained or changed and to that end arrangements have been made to see Miss Dennehy hopefully on Friday this week.”

 

 

He added: “If that is possible we will be able to inform the court on Monday.”

Judge Mr Justice Sweeney said: “She has pleaded guilty to a large number of counts, clearly intentionally.

“In the circumstances if there is to be any application for a change then I will consider it – but otherwise she has pleaded guilty.”.

He ordered that Dennehy’s defence team notify the court by Monday if there is to be any retraction of her guilty pleas.

Dennehy, who wore a white shirt as she sat in the dock, admitted the murders of property developer Kevin Lee, 48, Lukasz Slaboszewski, 31, and John Chapman, 56.

She also confessed to three counts of preventing the lawful burial of all three victims, and to the attempted murders of Robin Bereza and John Rogers.

The court heard Mr Lee died of stab wounds to the chest. He was found in a ditch in Newborough, Cambs, on March 30.

Mr Slaboszewski was stabbed in the heart, while Mr Chapman was stabbed in the neck and chest.

Their bodies were found by a passer-by around 10 miles away in a ditch at Thorney Dyke, on April 3.

Following the killings police launched a nationwide appeal to find Dennehy, who lived in nearby Peterborough.

Det Chief Insp Martin Brunning, from the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit, described her as having a “very distinctive” appearance.

At the time, police also confirmed that she had previous convictions, but would not disclose what they were for.

She was finally arrested in April.

 

Where bodies were found

 

Dennehy appeared yesterday alongside her boyfriend Gary Stretch, 47, who stands 7ft 3in tall and is also known as Gary Richards.

He denied the two attempted murders – said to have happened on April 2.

He also pleaded not guilty to helping Dennehy dispose of the three bodies.

Two other defendants appeared at the hearing by videolink.

Leslie Layton, 36, denies two counts of preventing a lawful burial and one charge of perverting the course of justice. Robert Moore, 55, denies two counts of assisting an offender.

The three defendants, all from Peterborough, are expected to go on trial in January. Dennehy is due to be sentenced at a later date.

Former social worker Lorraine Graves, who was jailed for 15 months after admitting seven counts of theftFormer social worker Lorraine Graves, who was jailed for 15 months after admitting seven counts of theft

last week the Welwyn Hatfield Times reported Lorraine Graves, 36, had been jailed for 15 months after it emerged she had helped herself to £31,000 from five elderly and disabled people’s savings.

The former social worker, who stole the cash to fund a spiralling gambling addiction, was dubbed “disgusting and shameful” at a court hearing last month.

Cambridge Crown Court heard Graves, employed by Herts County Council, had been allowed to withdraw cash on clients’ behalf.

This week a statement from the authority said: “We are extremely disappointed in the conduct of this member of staff and express our sincere apologies and sympathy to her victims and their families.

“We are pleased this matter has gone through the judicial process.”

Colette Wyatt-Lowe, cabinet member for adult care and health, said financial procedures were immediately investigated.

Graves’ deception was discovered after an elderly victim died.

The social worker had falsely claimed Christina Newman had spent £1,000 on a caravan holiday and bought a new television shortly before her death, pocketing the money herself.

Cllr Wyatt-Lowe said each vulnerable client now had a budget plan, which specified agreed expenditure.

Any attempt to make purchases not recorded would be blocked, and prompt an investigation.

There are also now debit cards for purchases made on behalf of clients, with County Hall saying there is now a clear audit trail.

She added: “Our revised procedures have since been the subject of a formal audit, which concluded this week that there are now even higher levels of assurance in place.”

charles_de_gaulle

Britain is forging ahead on military co-operation with France, while warning about EU “interference” on defence.

The two countries are the EU’s leading military powers.

They spent €92 billion on defence last year (more than Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland and Spain put together), according to Swedish NGO Sipri, the money would have been better spent on our NHS!

They are also the most hawkish. They took the lead in wars in Libya and Mali and they were keen to join US strikes on Syria, which is of no concern of the British people.

“As shown from our joint operations in Libya and Mali, the UK and France are natural partners and have a key role to play in leading and shaping the defence and security of Europe,” a British defence ministry spokesman said.

Defence and security of Europe?

When we allow untold amounts of immigrants whom we know nothing about and can’t even check their records and what they got up to before they came to Britain?

How is this defending Britain?

In line with the 2010 Lancaster House Treaties, the British and French army, navy and air force regularly train together and some British officers serve full time on the French aircraft carrier, the Charles de Gaulle.

Why is this? Should they not be aboard our own naval ships, if they are ‘defending’ Britain?